Sunday, January 13, 2013

Quiet Book

I am part of a monthly meal exchange and a member of the group suggested we do a quiet book page swap.  I loved this idea since we spend so much time traveling.  I thought Leif would enjoy a book with activities on each page to keep him occupied in the car or airplane.

Our group came up with standard dimensions and brainstormed activity ideas.  Then each member made 8 copies of their design.  We then swapped them with each other so everyone ended up with 8 different pages.  It was much easier doing one page multiple times then make 8 separate designs.  Here is the progress so far.


I made the page that looks like a cherry pie where you can weave the pie crust.  I originally planned to also include a napkin to fold, but then ran out of energy.  I will try to come up with something to fill the empty space in the future.  


I took each page and matched them up.  I sewed thin batting to the wrong side of one of the pages. 


 Then I pinned it, right sides together, to its pair and sewed those together like you would if you were making a pillow.  


I then turned them right side out, sewed up the opening and then ironed each page flat.  The next step was to add two grommets to each page.  I then connected them with binder rings from an office supply store.  I thought this was the best way for me to bind the book, so that I have the ability to add more pages in the future.


Even though I was still not finished with the cover, I gave the completed pages to Leif and he began playing with them immediately.  





Tonight I finished the design of the cover.   It is felt and ribbon appliqued on vinyl.  I wanted a material for the cover that could handle the beatings and messiness of travel.  I will work on putting the backing onto the cover in the next few days.

This has been a really fun project to work on and my head is swimming with more ideas.  I will slowly add to this book overtime and post updates.  The group is already talking about a second round!

No comments:

Post a Comment