Sunday, February 21, 2010

Anatomy in Clay

Last May I went to a workshop for Life Science/Biology teachers. I admit that the main reason I went was because it sounded artistic. (In 7th grade, students don't learn a lot of Anatomy, so I wouldn't be able to apply much from the class to my actual teaching.) So, my reasons were totally selfish and I got two days off from work for it. :)

Basically, there is a whole curriculum that is all about constructing an anatomical model of the human body using clay. So, I spent two days learning a bunch of clay construction techniques....as well as refreshing my memory on Anatomy. There was a plastic skeleton that all the muscles, veins, arteries, etc. were affixed to. Maybe if I end up teaching high school Anatomy and Physiology, I'll use what I learned in the class. Until then, it was fun playing with clay and making a cool man-with-no-skin! Here was the final product!


You can see some of his internal organs in this one.


I gave him a hat and some turquoise dreadlocks with my extra arteries, veins and lymphatic system.



1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I also love the add-ons....

    ReplyDelete