Saturday, January 23, 2010

Used Book Wall Art for Baby's Room

We are in the midst of converting our second bedroom into a baby room. Most of the major work is being done by Jeff, so I've been focusing more on the decorating side of things. I have been trying to find decor that can grow with our boy. We didn't want anything too babyish, so I am always looking at things through a four-year-old's eyes. After considering several decor themes (music, jungle, etc.), we decided on woodland animals. I liked the idea of decorating with creatures we see in Minnesota.

At a used book store in St. Paul, I found the perfect wall art that matched our theme. I found this classic Little Golden Book for 50 cents.


There are several stories in the book that are all about going to bed. I loved the illustrations of all the sleepy animals! So, I got some pliers and pried open the binding.


I then cut out my two favorite illustrated pages.


I picked out two 8 x 10 frames at Menards for $2 each. Since the pictures were not standard photo size, I went to Michael's and got some custom mats cut. This was the most costly part of the project; about $12 total. Here's the finished product!



I love the way these turned out! I especially love the raccoon in his hammock! The pictures are currently sitting on the dresser waiting to find a home on the wall. I haven't committed to which wall I will hang them, so I'll post an update of their final location once I have decided.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love these! I can't wait to come see it in person. We'll definitely have to come visit soon after Little Digre is born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica!

    I love the art! Such a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete