Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Funky Lamp Out of Reused Materials

This is a project I did several years ago. I found these old pictures on my hard drive and thought I'd share this idea.

Ingredients:
  • One strand of Christmas lights
  • One wire hoop (the kind used for making a wreath)
  • An old curtain.
I had these funky old curtains from my college apartment that were really beat up. They had some cool bead work on them, so I didn't want to get rid of them. So, I thought of re-purposing them to make some funky hanging lamps.

Basically, I cut the curtain to the length that I wanted the lamp. I sewed the two long sides of the curtain together to make a tube. Then I sewed a hem on the top and threaded a string through it. Then I placed the curtain around the hoop and cinched it, to keep it from falling off the hoop.

Then I strung the Christmas lights through the hoop so they hung the length of the curtain.

Here is what the final product looks like:

Since there were two curtains to begin with, I ended up making a matching pair of lamps. I currently don't have these hanging up in my house, now that I have moved. I just can't think of a place that they will look right. Suggestions welcome!

1 comment:

  1. that was a cool project :)

    You should do a post on how you made the sconces in our bedroom... not necessarily resuse, but it's a cool project that's similar.

    -jeff

    ReplyDelete